Thursday, December 5, 2013

Heaven is a Place on Earth - and it WAS!

How hard is it to believe that it's 26 years since Belinda Carlisle's defining hit Heaven is a Place On Earth went to number one in the United States?



 I had the privilege of seeing this song being performed live last year at the Rewind Concert, and I can tell you that Belinda performs it today with the same energy as she did back then.



I can think back to those days, and this song was on my stereo more days than it wasn't.

When you think of the songs that kept it company - Kylie Minogue's I Should be So Lucky, Climie Fisher's Love Changes Everything, Tiffany's I Think We're Alone Now, and (I've Had) The Time of My Life, from the hit movie Dirty Dancing - which song preceded Heaven is a Place on Earth on the Billboard charts as number one - it was a good time to be a teenager, and our parents didn't have to worry about swearwords appearing in them like we as parents have to think about today. George Michael's Faith knocked it off the top - another timeless song. With that calibre of music, heaven WAS a place on earth! 

Interestingly Heaven is a Place on Earth was Belinda Carlisle's only chart topper in America either as a member of the band The Go Gos, which was one of the most successful girl bands of all time, or as a solo artist..

Born on August 17th, 1958, Belinda continues to tour and make music today. She is currently on tour in Australia and will be in the UK in May 2014. Follow her on Twitter @BelindaOfficial or on Facebook.

PS - Belinda, we want you back in South Africa! 

Just a quick nod to another initiative - since it's Breast Cancer Awareness month, you can donate R20 to The PinkDrive & stand a chance of winning a trip for 2 to New York! SMS PINKDRIVE to 40158 to make your donation. ‪#‎PinkDay5Dec‬. Competition run by Cricket South Africa. 

1 comment:

  1. You bring back such lovely memories. I loved Belinda Carlisle and "Heaven is a place on earth" is one of my favourite songs.

    ReplyDelete

I would love you to leave a comment! I really value your interaction. Thank you for stopping by.