Monday, April 21, 2014

Knock Knock Knock ... BBT! Knock Knock Knock... BBT! Knock Knock Knock... BBT!

My family and I have fallen hook line and sinker for The Big Bang Theory. So much so that our catch phrase right now is Bazinga! and we knock on doors, windows, whatever there is to knock on in the Sheldon Cooper style. 

Knock knock knock Penny! Knock knock knock Leonard! 

We ogle over Sheldon's shirts and are toying with the idea (not really, as shipping is too expensive) of ordering a shirt or two from America. We have come to the conclusion that we are nerds, and geeks (yes, I know, many people will be surprised that it's taken us this long to realise it). 

The ball pit scene from Season 3 Episode 14 "The Einstein Approximation" had us laughing for days. 









The Big Bang Theory stars Johnny Galecki as Leonard Hofstadter, Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper, Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting as Penny, Simon Helberg as Howard Wolowitz, Kunal Nayyar as Raj Koothrappali, Melissa Rauch as Bernadette Rostenkowski-Wolowitz, and Mayim Bialik as Amy Farrah Fowler. 


I love the show and I think one of the reasons is because I see influences of older shows portrayed in an up to date way. 

I am very taken and impressed with Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting. I first saw her in 8 Simple Rules For Dating My Teenage Daughter as one of the girls, and I thought that Bridget, the character she played, was rather obnoxious. 





It was during the second season of that show that John Ritter passed away and the show never fully recovered, but you can see the influence of John Ritter in Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting's acting now - which is probably another reason I like the show so much. 


Kaley has matured as an actress in leaps and bounds. 

Off the top of my head I am battling to think of another person who has been in two hit sitcoms within such short space of each other. Michael J Fox in Family Ties and Spin City comes to mind. Bea Arthur did it with Maude and The Golden Girls, Don Knotts did it with The Andy Griffiths Show and Three's Company. This is a great array of names to be among. 8 Simple Rules ended in 2005, and The Big Bang Theory began in 2007. In between she also starred in the final season of Charmed. This is impressive! 

The Big Bang Theory features ANOTHER star who has made his name in two sitcoms. Johnny Galecki starred in Roseanne as David Healy from 1992 - 1997. David Healy was the boyfriend of Roseanne's daughter Darlene (played by Sara Gilbert, who has a recurring role in The Big Bang Theory, just to round things out). Johnny Galecki has mentioned that he learned a lot from Roseanne Barr, and I think that BBT has been the beneficiary of this experience. 




Sheldon Cooper of course is the one character like no other. His T Shirts are a legend on their own and Sheldon Speak is one of the attractions of the show. Here's an example: "
“At this point in our eco-system, you are akin to the plover, a small scavenging bird that eats extra food from between the teeth of crocodiles. Please, fly into our open maw and have at it.” 

Actor Jim Parsons is said to have little understanding of most of what Sheldon Cooper actually says (much like the rest of us) but he has made Sheldon's character human - a difficult task to do with a character who we know isn't crazy - his mother had him tested! Jim Parsons is made for this role. I can't see any other actor playing it successfully, and he is a large part of why BBT is as funny as it is. In me, Jim Parsons has a fan for life. 




The characters of Howard, Raj, Amy and Bernadette are also very different and unique. Raj's one liners often crack up a semi serious situation - eg "just because I have a small bladder doesn't mean I can't have a hot girlfriend!" The bromance with Howard and the jokiness the two girls bring out ensure a laugh a minute from a very funny show. 

This show has recently been renewed for 3 more seasons and deservedly so. This is the epitome of how an ensemble cast should work. 

I am desperately keen to obtain interviews with the stars - watch this space!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love you to leave a comment! I really value your interaction. Thank you for stopping by.